One Step at a Time: Safety & Sustainability
This one-hour course examines how stair treads and nosings increase stair safety for users, especially in the event of an emergency. Join us as we discuss the different parts of a stair, the coefficients of friction for different nosing options, new innovations that make treads and nosings durable and sustainable, and codes and practices that ensure proper installation.
- Identify the different parts of a stair, including treads, risers, stringers, and nosings
- Discuss how stair nosings are used to increase stair safety and compare the coefficients of friction for different nosing options
- Explain innovations in stair nosings and treads that ensure they are durable and sustainable, including recycled and recyclable materials
- Define codes that certify stair nosings and treads are safe for all users, especially in the event of an emergency
- Outline the estimation, installation, and maintenance process for stair nosings