Steel Doors and Frames 101 - Update
This course provides general information about steel doors such as nomenclature, fire ratings, cores, and performance levels. This includes how SDI standards can assist with fire door selection. We will also review frame nomenclature, types of frames, anchoring, and elevations.
The focus will also be on the physical performance of doors in relation to fires, windstorms, blasts, bullets, and acoustics. Footage of fire and hurricane tests will be presented. In addition, we will look at the recyclability and LEED credits provided by steel doors and frames.
- Describe the various components of steel doors and frames
- Explain the basics of fire rated openings and how to avoid negating a rating
- Discuss the performance levels of doors, and how to avoid over- or under-specifying doors’ gauges
- Describe the importance of hinge and strike locations, including the importance of proper reinforcement
- List the types of specialty doors that are available and the general performance capabilities of each