Efficiency & Turndown: Hype Vs. Fact About Gas Fired Water Heaters & Boilers
Friday, October 28, 2022 - 12:00pm to 1:00pm EDT
Turndown has been a hot topic for a while now, but it isn’t a magic solution. Join us in this one-hour course as we separate the hype from the facts about high turndown, looking at real-world applications. Participants will learn why its better to focus on combustion and thermal efficiency to achieve high efficiency.
- Recognize the different definitions of turndown ratio and explain how turndown became a contentious topic in terms of efficiency and sizing
- Summarize system challenges to achieving very high turndown, focusing on short cycling and boiler efficiency
- Articulate the real-world advantages and disadvantages of a higher turndown boiler by reviewing a case study
- Contrast combustion efficiency and thermal efficiency and illustrate how the terms are connected and what factors impact them
- Develop new and existing designs that achieve high efficiency by utilizing cooler return water to maximize efficiency of a condensing heater