Where Sustainability Meets Innovation
Webinar Begins In
Wednesday, August 11, 2021 - 12:00pm to 1:00pm EDT
This course discusses the impact of buildings on the natural environment and offers insight on designing to minimize those impacts through sun control and mastery of the elements.
The discussion emphasizes implementing design methods including specification of technologies such as sun shade and daylighting canopy systems, as well as materials that contain recycled content.
Designing as part of a holistic building environment is critical to optimizing energy performance and reducing extraction of natural resources for building materials. LEED credits associated with specifying aluminum sun shade systems are also discussed.
- Discuss how buildings impact energy consumption and emissions and designing to minimize those impacts.
- Identify the sustainable attributes of materials used in canopy and sun shade projects.
- Discuss the role of sun shades and canopies in passive design and identify how they contribute to a holistic sustainable building envelope, as well as human health and well-being.
- List important design considerations for canopies and sun shades that ensure maximum elemental protection and project sustainability.
- Identify which LEED credits canopies and sun shades, and their materials, might contribute toward.